Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) – Customer Service Policy Statement
This policy is intended to meet the requirements of Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07 under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and applies to the provision of goods and services to the public or other third parties, not to the goods themselves.
Olsen Fashion Canada is committed to providing its goods and services in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of individuals with disabilities and in a manner that enables individuals with disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services.
In accordance with the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07, this policy addresses the following:
- The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities;
- The Use of Assistive Devices
- The Use of Guide Dogs, Service Animals and Service Dogs
- The Use of Support Persons
- Notice of Service Disruptions
- Customer Feedback
- Notice of Availability and Format of Required Documents
The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Olsen Fashion Canada will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
- ensuring that all customers receive the same value and quality;
- allowing customers with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing goods and services as long as this does not present a safety risk;
- using alternative methods when possible to ensure that customers with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner;
- taking into account individual needs when providing goods and services; and
- Communicating in a manner that takes into account the customer’s disability.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Olsen Fashion Canada. In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of goods and services.
We will ensure that our associates are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities whiles accessing our goods or services.
Guide Dogs, Service Animals and Service Dogs
A customer with a disability that is accompanied by guide dog, service animal or service dog will be allowed access to premises that are open to the public unless otherwise excluded by law. “No pet” policies do not apply to guide dogs, service animals and/or service dogs.
If a guide dog, service animal or service dog is excluded by law (see applicable laws below) Olsen Fashion Canada will offer alternative methods to enable the person with a disability to access goods and services, when possible (for example, securing the animal in a safe location and offering the guidance of an employee).
Dog Owners’ Liability Act, Ontario: If there is a conflict between a provision of this Act or of a regulation under this or any other Act relating to banned breeds (such as pitbulls) and a provision of a by-law passed by a municipality relating to these breeds, the provision that is more restrictive in relation to controls or bans on these breeds prevails.
Recognizing a Guide Dog, Service Dog and/or Service Animal:
If it is not readily apparent that the animal is being used by the customer for reasons relating to his or her disability, Olsen Fashion Canada may request verification from the customer.
Verification may include:
- a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons related to the disability;
- a valid identification card signed by the Attorney General of Canada; or,
- a certificate of training from a recognized guide dog or service animal training school.
Care and Control of the Animal:
The customer that is accompanied by a guide dog, service dog and/or service animal is responsible for maintaining care and control of the animal at all time.
If a health and safety concern presents itself for example in the form of a severe allergy to the animal, Olsen Fashion Canada will make all reasonable efforts to meet the needs of all individuals.
If a customer with a disability is accompanied by a support person, Olsen Fashion Canada will ensure that both persons are allowed to enter the premises together and that the customer is not prevented from having access to the support person.
In situations where confidential information might be discussed, consent will be obtained from the customer, prior to any conversation where confidential information might be discussed.
Notice of Disruptions in Service
Service disruptions may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within the control or knowledge of Olsen Fashion Canada.
In the event of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services that customer’s with disabilities rely on to access or use Olsen Fashion Canada’s goods or services, reasonable efforts will be made to provide advance notice. In some circumstances such as in the situation of unplanned temporary disruptions, advance notice may not be possible.
Notifications will include:
In the event that a notification needs to be posted the following information will be included unless it is not readily available or known:
- goods or services that are disrupted or unavailable
- reason for the disruption
- anticipated duration
- a description of alternative services or options
When disruptions occur Olsen Fashion Canada will provide notice by:
- posting notices in conspicuous places including at the point of disruption, at the main entrance and the nearest accessible entrance to the service disruption and/or on the Olsen Fashion Canada website;
- contacting customers with appointments;
- Verbally notifying customers when they are making a reservation or appointment; or by any other method that may be reasonable under the circumstances.
The ultimate goal of Olsen Fashion Canada is to meet and surpass customer expectations while serving customers with disabilities. Olsen shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on how well these expectations are being met.
Feedback regarding the way Olsen provides good and services to people with disabilities can be made by mail, online, email or in-person.
Customers can submit feedback to:
1 (800) 268-1919, ext. 3
5112 Timberlea Blvd., Mississauga, ON L4W 2S5
Customers who wish to provide feedback by completing an onsite customer feedback form or verbally can do so to any Olsen Fashion Canada employee.
Customers that provide formal feedback will receive acknowledgement of their feedback, along with any resulting actions based on concerns or complaints that were submitted.
Olsen Fashion Canada will provide training as soon as practical. Training will be provided to new employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors who deal with the public or act on our behalf during orientation and in refreshers as deemed needed. Revised training will be provided in the event of changes to legislation, procedures and/or practices.
Individuals in the following positions are trained:
- Store Management
- Sales Associates
- District Managers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Home Office and Distribution Centre associates
Training will include the following:
- The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard, Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation and the Ontario Human Rights.
- Instructions on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- Instructions on how to interact with people with disabilities who:
- use assistive devices;
- require the assistance of a guide dog, service dog or other service animal; or
- require the use of a support person.
- Instructions on how to use equipment or devices that are available at our premises or that we provide that may help people with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Olsen goods and services.
- Olsen Fashion Canada’s policies, procedures and practices pertaining to providing accessible customer service to customers with disabilities.
Record of Training:
Olsen Fashion Canada will keep a record of training that includes the dates training was provided and the number of employees who attended the training.
Notice of Availability and Format of Documents
Olsen Fashion Canada shall notify customers that the documents related to the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service are available upon request and in a format that takes into account the customer’s disability. Notification will be given by posting the information in a conspicuous place owned and operated by Olsen Fashion Canada, the Olsen Fashion Canada’s website and/or any other reasonable method.
Questions about this Policy
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or its related procedures please contact:
1 (800) 268-1919
5112 Timberlea Blvd., Mississauga, ON L4W 2S5
This policy and its related procedures will be reviewed as required in the event of legislative changes.
Last reviewed May 2019